Top 3 Food Mistakes The Every Traveler Makes
While traveling is highly beneficial for the mind and soul, it can be demanding on the body, depending on your destination and activities planned. Believe it or not, your eating habits during a trip can also affect your body. For example, poor food choices can leave you feeling sluggish, bloated, and unable to enjoy your trip to the fullest. And because food is an important part of any travel experience, many people make common mistakes in their eating habits and food choices. So if you’re planning your next vacation or travel adventure, try to avoid these three food blunders when you arrive.
- Skipping meals
Meal skipping is a common mistake many travelers make. And it could happen for various reasons. Sometimes you’re caught up in so many travel activities you forget to eat. Or sometimes, food just isn’t the first thing on your mind when you’re stressed out during a trip. In some cases, you may even find it difficult to find the food you want, which will cause you to delay your meal times. But regardless of the reason, skipping meals is an absolute no-no. That’s because it can easily cause a drop in your blood sugar levels, leaving your body unhealthy and lacking energy.
To avoid this common mistake, always leave prepared. First, you can take the time to search online for the best restaurants in your city before you set off. This way, you wouldn’t waste time finding a good place to eat. Second, you can also stop by a convenience or grocery store to purchase healthy snacks to take along with you if you have an activity-packed day.
Many people increase their caffeine consumption when traveling, whether to stay awake or help them adjust to jetlag. Unfortunately, consuming too much caffeine during a trip can also cause your stress hormones to increase, which can affect your body’s ability to rest properly. And the less rest your body gets, the more damage you do to your immune system. As if that’s not bad enough, you can also experience a caffeine crash when the caffeine wears off from your body, leaving you tired and unable to see through your planned activities.
Instead of taking too much caffeine, try eating energy-boosting meals before traveling and throughout your trip. And should you need some beverages, it’s best to opt for less caffeinated ones.
- Overindulging everyday
Perhaps you found yourself on a cruise ship with an all-access buffet, or maybe you’re doing a food trip or tour with so many delicious local foods to try. But being spoilt for food choice does not mean you should overindulge in an attempt to try as many dishes as you want. It’s also possible to snack away mindlessly and consume more than you should without realizing it.
The best way to avoid overindulging is to stick to healthy food portions. You can also practice the 80/20 diet rule, especially if you love your food. According to this rule, you should eat nutritiously 80% of the time and use the remaining 20% to indulge occasionally. You should find this rule helpful in areas where you’re spoilt for food choices.
If you like what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post, blog, and site.
And thanks for reading! 🙂
Pingback: Tips For Bringing More Culture Into Your Kitchen For 2023 | lifespaceblog