You’ve just bought a new sapling at the nursery and can’t wait til Spring to plant it in your yard, right? Well, Spring may not be the best time to plant that new tree. At the time of this writing, it is Winter. And that can be the best time to plant a new sapling into the ground.
I once was employed distributing fliers for a landscaping company. In hearing discussions at the office, I found that some people had new plants and trees placed in the ground during the winter. Curious, I asked about this, thinking winter was the worst time to put a new tree into the ground, due to the cold and elements.
The answer was that most trees go dormant in the winter months, especially if they are deciduous trees, the ones that lose their leaves in the fall and grow them back in the spring, such as Maple, Elm, and Aspen trees.
When a sapling is planted into the ground, there is actually a sort of “Shock” as the tree must “get used to” the new soil of the yard. This would go for shrubs, too, or any plant that is “transplanted” to a new location. The tree’s dormancy in winter lessens this shock greatly and helps insure that the tree will take to its new location. Not only that, but the lessening of the shock will also keep the tree’s natural defenses against insect pests from being overtaxed and weakened.
So that’s why, unless the ground is truly covered with ice, it’s often better to plant a new sapling or shrub in the winter months.
If you liked what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post and blog! Also, check out this site’s other pages!
Thanks for reading! 🙂
Don’t you wish that you could watch that old TV series or movie that is rarely or no longer shown on tv? Well, if you have a cable or satellite tv subscription, you may have a channel or two where they feature some old series’ and movies. Then there’s Hulu.
But the place where I’ve seen some old series’ and movies is You Tube. I haven’t tried Hulu.com yet, so I don’t know how it would really compare with You Tube, but I do know that, on You Tube, I’ve been able to see a number of shows, tv series’, and movies, at my discretion. Among the shows I’ve seen are, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, The Big Valley, Charlie’s Angels, Wagon Train, The 6 Million Dollar Man, and an Australian series, Prisoner, Cellblock H.
Now, there are some disadvantages to using You Tube:
- Not all shows are available, as it depends what has been uploaded.
- Some series’ and movies are only available as truncated versions, having left out less important parts of the stories.
- If you are following a series on You Tube from the first to the last episode, you may find that some video posters don’t have all of the episodes and the whole series may be spread out among several video posters.
- Some videos may just be slow to load.
- Not all episodes of a series may be available.
Of course, there are some good advantages to using You Tube:
- No need to sign up for anything, create usernames, or passwords, etc., in order to view videos on You Tube. You just go to http://www.youtube.com, type in the series or movie you’re looking for in the search box, and, if it’s available, you can watch it!
- You can pause a video at anytime, and also go back if there was a part you didn’t quite see or hear!
- No fees!
- Videos are usually on You Tube for some time, even years, so, if you have to stop watching a series for a time, it will probably still be there when you resume.
- You can sometimes find videos of rare movies or series’ that you may not be able to find on cable channels.
- You can watch videos in full screen mode and, if you have your computer connected to your big flat screen tv using an HDMI cable, it can be like watching the show on broadcast tv!
So, if you’re really wanting to see that old series or movie that is just not shown anywhere, You Tube may be the answer!
If you like what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post, blog, and website! Thanks!
Happy watching and thanks for reading! 🙂