We all know that wearing your seatbelt at all times is a must in a car, but when we are driving the car there are even more restrictions and rules to adhere to, to ensure that we are safe. Roads are busier than ever and it’s easy to become complacent if you’re a seasoned driver. You may know the roads well and drive them daily, as well as estimating your car’s capacity but there are some things that happen that are out of your control, too.
There are lots of types of collisions on the road, but one of which is a relatively common one is sideswipe collision. In a sideswipe accident, it is usually the driver of the vehicle that sideswipes another vehicle, such as changing lanes or drifting unexpectedly. If it happens when they are changing lanes, then the driver of that car will be placed with 100% of the liability. It would also be them who pay out for any damages and insurance claims. It takes an average of 1.5 seconds for a driver to change lanes. It doesn’t sound long at all, but sometimes it may take longer which is when it can affect cars that are driving parallel.
In addition to the above, sideswipe accidents can often lead to a second collision such as another vehicle, railing, a concrete barrier, trees, light posts, signage or even people. This could be catastrophic, especially if it involves pedestrians. In addition to sideswipe collisions there are head on collisions and many other types which means we must always stay vigilant on the roads.
How To Stay Safe
Here are a few tips on how to ensure that you are being safe when driving and how best to avoid a collision. It isn’t always easy, depending on the other driver’s involved, but if you can prepare yourself better, it could be a big bonus. It will also help with any police involvement when you can assure them that you were in fact driving safely.
- When driving on an intersection, be sure to use defensive driving when crossing an intersection.
- Keep Breaks updated and checked – you must be sure that your car has been tested and that the brakes are in impeccable working order. This is important before a long trip, always have them checked!
- Follow the traffic signs, be sure to be aware of any changes on the road and keep listening to updates to ensure that you know what is ahead.
- Look out for any trucks or vehicles that are larger than you or that are seemingly driving too close or erratically and avoid them if possible..
- Be aware and vigilant all the time, be sure to look out for everything on the road, don’t let your mind slip.
- Follow the speed limit and check your speed often to ensure that you are within the speed limits.
Staying safe doesn’t have to be difficult but it does require being prepared for the unexpected and making sure your car is road ready.
If you like what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post, blog, and site.
And thanks for reading! 🙂