Best Biotin Vitamins in 2021 & Absorption Tips!
What is Biotin?
Biotin is a B vitamin, which means it is a water-soluble vitamin (i.e. the body doesn’t naturally produce biotin so it needs it from foods and supplements). This vitamin plays a vital role in the body’s metabolism of fatty acids, glucose, and amino acids to produce energy. In fact, the word “biotin” comes from the Greek word “biotos” which means “life” and “sustenance”. Let’s break down the benefits of biotin and some of the best biotin vitamins of 2021.
What are the Benefits of Biotin?
The body needs biotin to function correctly, but what does it do for you?
- Breaks Down Macro-Nutrients: Biotin helps convert food into energy by breaking down fatty acids, glucose, and amino acids,
- Promotes Hair and Nail Growth: Biotin improves the body’s keratin infrastructure and reduces inflammation. Keratin is the main protein for hair and nail growth.
- Supports Pregnancy: About 50% of women may have a biotin deficiency during pregnancy because the body breaks down this vitamin faster at this time.
- Manages Blood Sugar Levels: Biotin can improve glycemic management that is a problem found in type one diabetics.
Top Biotin Brands
Here’s a list of some of the top-rated and our handpicked favorites of the best biotin vitamins of 2021:
- Klaire Labs Biotin: Klaire Labs specializes in high quality, hypoallergenic supplements. This supplement provides 16,667% of the daily value for biotin per serving.
- Garden of Life MyKind Organic Plant Collagen Builder: Garden of Life supplements are organic, gluten-free, non-GMO. This supplement promotes collagen synthesis and is 8,333% of the daily value for biotin.
- Jarrow Formulas Biotin: These supplements are made with veggie caps and are 16,667% of the daily value of biotin.
- Vitafusion Biotin: With these biotin gummy supplements, you get your band for your buck. In fact, they have no high fructose corn syrup and provide 16,667% of the daily value of biotin.
- Nature Made Biotin Gummies: United States Pharmacopeia verified Nature Made’s gummy supplements and are 10,000% of the daily value per serving.
- Olly Hair Softgels: Olly’s may be designed specifically for hair, but each serving contains 10,000% of the DV for biotin, along with vitamin D, folate, vitamin B12, zinc, copper, keratin, amla fruit extract, and silicon.
- Life Extension Biotin: Life Extension supplements are vegetarian and non-GMO. They provide 2,000% of the daily value per serving.
- Carlyle Liquid Biotin: This liquid biotin supplement is vegetarian, non-GMO, sugar-free, and gluten free. Carlyle’s liquid biotin provides 33,333% of the daily for biotin in a single-dropper serving.
- SolaGarden Naturals Whole Food Biotin: The SolaGarden’s biotin supplement is vegan and organic. Actually, the biotin gets extracted from the Sesbania agati tree, native to South Asia. It provides 1,667% of the Daily Value for biotin per serving.
How Does Absorption Work?
Biotin in food is bound to proteins. Then, these proteins get broken down by enzymes found in the pancreas and the small intestine, freeing the biotin. The biotin is then absorbed by the small intestine. When biotin comes in the form of a supplement it is absorbed slightly differently. There is no saturation. Therefore, with supplements, more biotin actually gets absorbed.
Absorption Tips & Tricks!
- Alcoholism can increase the risk of biotin deficiency ,and many other nutrients as alcohol can block their absorption.
- Raw eggs prevent biotin absorption because a glycoprotein found in raw egg binds itself to the protein attached to the biotin.
- The absorption rate of oral, free biotin supplements is 100% no matter the dose of biotin.
- Check with your doctor if biotin supplements are right for you. Especially if you are on other types of prescription medication since some medicines can have an adverse effect on biotin
Should You Add Biotin to Your Supplement Routine?
Biotin is essential for the body’s metabolism and cellular function. But, many people do not need to take biotin supplements, but some people are more susceptible to biotin deficiencies or just need the extra boost. The more susceptible groups are those with biotinidase deficiency, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and those with chronic alcohol exposure. Some signs of deficiency are brittle nails, hair loss, and skin rashes, which is why biotin usage is also for healthy hair, skin, and nails. In addition, there is no harm to taking biotin supplements, only benefits, but talk to your doctor if you think you may have any signs of deficiency.
This article was originally published at iveeapp.com.
If you like what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post, blog, and site.
And thanks for reading! 🙂