Sure, you have access to phones everywhere now, but sometimes you just want to see who you’re talking to! But if they’re far away or you just cannot get to see them right now, what do you do?
Now, with better computers, laptops and tablets and, I believe, even smartphones, you can download programs that allow you to see who you’re talking to. I have used another messenger service in the past, but it was sometimes unreliable and not so easy to use. This was a few years ago, so improvements may have been made since then.
The one I use and like now, is Skype.
1. Skype is easy to find and install. All I had to do was google Skype and found the website. It was very easy to set up my account, install the software, and add my contacts. And also easy to use, which may be why it is so popular.
2. Skype is reliable. So far, in my experience, Skype has been very reliable. I don’t believe it has ever crashed on me and the settings are easy to use. I like the fact that you can check you connection, webcam, speakers, and microphone performance as well.
3. Skype updates automatically and with little hassle. Skype updates automatically and these updates have never caused any problems on my computer.
4. Quality of Skype calls is usually quite good. The few problems I’ve had have been due to equipment problems rather than Skype itself.
5. Perhaps best of all, as of this writing, a basic Skype account is free to set up and use!
So, how is a Skype call different? The fact that you can see who you’re talking to, which is really great, when you stop to think about it! Of course, Skype and similar programs have been around for a while now, but I’m still not complacent about Skype. If you skype with someone who is far away, such as family members or friends, seeing them, and they seeing you, is the next best thing to actually visiting them!
A program like Skype also allows you to show things to those you’re speaking with, and vice versa. You just got the latest smartphone and want to show your friend across the country what it looks like. With Skype, you can! If you’re “skyping” using a portable device with WiFi or an extra long Ethernet (Cat-5E) cable, you can show the person you’re skyping with, your new home or that great sunset from your balcony!
Now, like other messenger programs of this type, Skype does require both parties to have Skype accounts, but as I mentioned above, setting up a basic Skype account is easy and free. So getting those family and friends with internet access to sign up can be easy to do.
So, even if you now live far away from friends and family, there’s no excuse for not keeping in touch! Get a Skype account and get your friends and loved ones to do the same! The “virtual visiting” effect is well worth it!
If you like what you’ve read here, please let others know of this post, blog, and website! Thanks for reading! 🙂